Thread: "Iron Fist" Song Premiere!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1 Default "Iron Fist" Song Premiere! 
    Coheed just posted "Iron Fist" on their Tumblr! Discuss!

http://childrenofthefence.tumblr.com...-song-premiere
    Make every night a pizza party with Totino's Party Pizza!
    FACEBOOK

2. #2 Default  
    Not what I was expecting after hearing the acoustic version so long ago. Altho that might be the problem, that we're all so used to the stripped down version that this one sounds off. Still good tho. There's a stripped down version on the demo disc so I guess we get the best of both worlds!
    Official Child Of The Fence #2071/3000

Shows: 11/27/2007, 2/6/2009, 8/28/2009, 3/29/2010, 5/17/2010, 9/4/2010, 4/25/2011, 9/28/2012...

3. #3 Default  
    Not bad, but much prefer the stripped down version.

4. #4 Default  
    I'm not a huge fan of this version. I liked Chris' drums in the old live version, and the repeating "Goddamn" bugs for some reason.

5. #5 Default  
    The acoustic original version is SO much better I am not a fan of this arrangement at all.

oh well.

6. #6 Default  
    Grimes is offline Misery, I digress. No recourse, no remorse.
    Better than the "stripped" version.
    l 4.30.10 l 8.23.10 l 4.08.11 l 12.03.12 l 10.31.13 l

7. #7 Default  
    This'll teach them to plays songs they've just written on tour!

8. #8 Default  
    Its interesting to say the least, but i do like it. But something i have noticed with A:D so far with what they have released thus far as "Sneak Peaks" seem to be very tame compared to A:A, with the exception of Sentry. Its interesting, and im not saying that i don't like it because i do, but it makes me wonder if the energy of the band is winding down in a way. but thats just my two cents.

9. #9 Default  
    I love it. The guitar solo is beautiful.

10. #10 Default  
    I don't get that vibe at all. Number City is energetic as hell, Hard Sell and Dark Side of Me both have real emotion in them (albeit in a different way) and I still have wild expectations for Gravity's Union to just blow the doors off the whole album. Iron Fist is definitely the tamest one they've put out from this album but who knows what the rest of it sounds like
    Official Child Of The Fence #2071/3000

Shows: 11/27/2007, 2/6/2009, 8/28/2009, 3/29/2010, 5/17/2010, 9/4/2010, 4/25/2011, 9/28/2012...

11. #11 Default  
    Grimes is offline Misery, I digress. No recourse, no remorse.
    The composition and atmosphere of the song is so much more vibrant and interesting than their performance from past tours.
    l 4.30.10 l 8.23.10 l 4.08.11 l 12.03.12 l 10.31.13 l

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
    The composition and atmosphere of the song is so much more vibrant and interesting than their performance from past tours.
    This.
    I love how it starts slow and a little electronic but then transforms into the folky song from the live version after the solo.
    People are complaining about the 'Goddamns' at the end as if he didn't do that on the live versions.

13. #13 Default  
    its good.... but... its good... i do approve.. just so used to the old version ... will take some time to get used to
    IRO-Bot will never die
    Afterman order:16262

14. #14 Default  
    Sounds a little like what they did with Blood Red Summer on this last tour.

Also: I love it when people start their posts on facebook with "Long time fan" and then follow it up with something shitty.
    Like it's supposed to somehow soften the blow or makes their opinion carry more weight.

Almost as bad as starting with "no offense".

15. #15 Default  
    Only thing I don't like are the drums during the "I don't want to lose your hold on me" part. It's just really loud and distracting. other than that, the song is pretty darn beautiful.
    June 6th 2010: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO
    Dec 2nd 2012: Pop's Nightclub, Sauget, IL
    August 26th 2013: The Pageant, St. Louis, MO

16. #16 Default  
    So...I love this a lot more than the live "stripped" version. The hook might be a little less ... passionate than the live version, but it fits the album feel much more.

Was about to comment on the lack of new songs we're going to hear on Monday/Tuesday when the album drops, but really, there's still half the album to go. Preleathal, Sentry studio (cannot wait!), Gravity's Union, Away We Go and 2's My Favorite 1...

Now two of those will be intro/outro but hell, look at Subtraction...it was fantastic even as an outro.
    5/27/10 - 930 Club, Washington, DC; 5/28/10 - 930 Club, Washington, DC; 5/2/11 - Ogden Theater, Denver, CO; 5/7/12 - Track 29, Chattanooga, TN; 5/12/12 - Bigou Theater, Knoxville, TN; 12/4/12 - Marathon Music Works, Nashville, TN; 2/4/13 930 Club, Washington, DC; 2/14/13 Ogden Theater, Denver, CO; 3/5/13 The Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA

17. #17 Default  
    I like how funky this is, I think it's a cool arrangement, but I really like it as a simple acoustic song too. I'm not sure which I prefer. Will be interesting to hear the demo from disc 4 of the box set.
    Poor little Hound of Blood and Rank, who deserves every ounce of what's coming...

18. #18 Default  
    Wasn't what I was expecting after the acoustic version, but I like it. So far, Descension is shaping up to be one hell of an album.
    Man your own Jackhammer,
    Man your battle stations.

19. #19 Default  
    Personally, I find it fantastic.
    Caged, locked in perpetual motion. Carving our wounds wide open, but you let the wrong one in.

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheedfreak89 View Post
    Only thing I don't like are the drums during the "I don't want to lose your hold on me" part. It's just really loud and distracting. other than that, the song is pretty darn beautiful.
    See, that was kind of my favorite part, loved the tone there.
    5/27/10 - 930 Club, Washington, DC; 5/28/10 - 930 Club, Washington, DC; 5/2/11 - Ogden Theater, Denver, CO; 5/7/12 - Track 29, Chattanooga, TN; 5/12/12 - Bigou Theater, Knoxville, TN; 12/4/12 - Marathon Music Works, Nashville, TN; 2/4/13 930 Club, Washington, DC; 2/14/13 Ogden Theater, Denver, CO; 3/5/13 The Tabernacle, Atlanta, GA

21. #21 Default  
    I love this version. Those of you who like the acoustic version will have it, on the deluxe CD, which lists a stripped acoustic version. But this version is so much better than the live version — it has a sort of whimsicalness, which gives it that Coheed touch we all love: dark lyrics with a happy sound. It's like the bright and cheery "you'll burn in hell while they're digging you out" in the Willing Well II; "God damn this cursed iron fist // ♫ ba da da da da ba ba daaaaa! ♫" I definitely love how much fun Claudio and Zach (I assume?) are having with that part. It sounds like the band had a blast in the studio, and I love that.

My ONLY complaint is that the last "this iron fist" in the "Just remember, pay no attention to this iron fist" part of the song isn't drawn out like Claudio does it live, because I keep expecting him to just belt that one out. But I'm sure we'll get used to it.

22. #22 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocketses View Post
    See, that was kind of my favorite part, loved the tone there.
    Everything but the drums in that particular section was beautiful, I just think that the drums needed to be toned down a little. they were too loud for me personally.
    June 6th 2010: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Maryland Heights, MO
    Dec 2nd 2012: Pop's Nightclub, Sauget, IL
    August 26th 2013: The Pageant, St. Louis, MO

23. #23 Default  
    I think they did an excellent job in transforming what we thought of the stripped down acoustic version into a more upbeat song that transitions well into Dark Side of Me. Only minor complaint is a bit on the lack of emotion that Claudio did deliver vocally live, however it does build up to the end. Well done.

24. #24 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtea View Post
    "God damn this cursed iron fist // ♫ ba da da da da ba ba daaaaa! ♫" I definitely love how much fun Claudio and Zach (I assume?) are having with that part. It sounds like the band had a blast in the studio, and I love that.
    Can anyone confirm that it's zach?
    While you were sleeping...
    I was stealing all your motha fuckin cheeseburgers

25. #25 Default  
    This version is a hell of a lot better. Its still not my favorite but at least it won't bore me so much that I have to skip it every time I listen to. The electronics are cool and so is the solo. My only complaint is that this and Dark Side of Me are next to each other. I might be mistaken but I don't think Coheed has ever put two softer songs next to each other on an album.
    5-21-10, 3-11-13

26. #26 Default  
    Love it. The double bass gives such an an awesome sound to the rythmn and I actually quite like the chip tune stuff at the beginning. Also, the badadadas at the end are awesome
    ALTA PETE - Aim at high things

27. #27 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohacker View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of this version. I liked Chris' drums in the old live version, and the repeating "Goddamn" bugs for some reason.
    That's bugged me since the beginning. And it's the one reason this song (in either this form, or the acoustic version) has never been a favorite of mine.
    Unus Inter Sepes - Latin for One Among the Fence

28. #28 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter1200 View Post
    Its interesting to say the least, but i do like it. But something i have noticed with A:D so far with what they have released thus far as "Sneak Peaks" seem to be very tame compared to A:A, with the exception of Sentry. Its interesting, and im not saying that i don't like it because i do, but it makes me wonder if the energy of the band is winding down in a way. but thats just my two cents.
    It might just be that maybe Descension is going to be a calmer, more meditative album in its back half. The book sure makes it seem like Gravity's Union is going to be the big turning point.

29. #29 Default  
    Damnit, just when I thought the entire double album was gonna be perfect!!

One of the downsides of having too much time in the studio.... so many unnecessary parts, I mean, seriously what does the banjo and background noise add? Sounds like they just stuck it in because they could. At least in Number City everything makes musical sense...
    Iron Fist is in my opinion one of Claudio's most well written songs, and now they've oversaturated it. Also in my opinion Zach and Josh have missed the mark on this one... why did they swing the end of the song? And the double bass is cool but overplayed at times..

Yes I am bitter, but that's only a testament to how well everything else has been done...
    Meow

30. #30 Default  
    Timed&Consumed is offline Now watch the brain, responding quite normal.
    I think this track showcases the creativity flowing through the band right now.
    It would have been easy to leave it relatively unchanged, but all the little nuances and layers make this a fun listen.
    (2008) Kerrang! Tour, London, UK (2008) Powerstation, Auckland, NZ (2008) NEVERENDER, London, UK x4 (2010) HMV Forum, London, (2012) KOKO London, UK (2013) Vancouver, Canada.
    Your order number is 12236

31. #31 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by AmanaplanIV View Post
    Damnit, just when I thought the entire double album was gonna be perfect!!

One of the downsides of having too much time in the studio.... so many unnecessary parts, I mean, seriously what does the banjo and background noise add? Sounds like they just stuck it in because they could. At least in Number City everything makes musical sense...
    Iron Fist is in my opinion one of Claudio's most well written songs, and now they've oversaturated it. Also in my opinion Zach and Josh have missed the mark on this one... why did they swing the end of the song? And the double bass is cool but overplayed at times..

Yes I am bitter, but that's only a testament to how well everything else has been done...
    But if you think about it 1 out of 18 songs being "not perfect" is a pretty damn good result, especially when compared to most bands

32. #32 Default  
    well...I never listened to the live version so to me this is pretty dope....i'm going to go listen to the live one now But is there a specific live version your all talking about?? if so link me if you can....
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Hiero_logo.JPG
    Hieroglyphics "Now thats real Hip Hop"

33. #33 Default  
    Does anyone remember when they played this song live, the very first time? And can you provide a YouTube link? I seriously cannot remember when it was.
    Last edited by Timinatron; 01-31-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typos

34. #34 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheedfreak89 View Post
    I agree, it's totally distracting to me for this song. I think those drums would sound better if the song was heavier as a whole. Overall I think I like the acoustic version better for it's simplicity. Those ba da das are awesome though.

Believe in Number City

35. #35 Default  
    First time listening to this definitely threw me. Not what I was expecting after hearing the live version. Kind of like the live version more at this point, but I like this version too and it's growing on me with more listens
    "God damn this cursed goddamn!"

8/28/09 | 3/26/10 | 5/17/10 | 9/4/10 | 4/25/11 | 9/28/12 | 3/15/13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast