Thread: The Prequel, Prequel Album

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default The Prequel, Prequel Album 
    Coheed announced at an interview with Radio.com at NYCC that their new album is written and that they will be recording in November. Interestingly enough, he pointed that it will further delve into the past of the Amory Wars.

If this is trash or if other threads have already been started discussing this I'm sorry, I didn't see any threads.

http://streetdate.radio.com/2011/10/...#ixzz1bK05ZA61
    07/02/08 - 10/10/10 - 04/30/11 - 05/20/12 - 10/20/12

"'Cause loneliness is why you hurt, just don't kill the messenger."

2. #2 Default  
    Yay, they will be in studio! Hmmm, I wonder if it will help uncover any PFI details as well.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    - Albert Einstein

3. #3 Default  
    Wow, I didn't think they'd be recording this soon! I guess this means we'll start seeing more announcements regarding the tracks and maybe a single by the end of november or december.
    "Im a ligttlre drunk butr f yea Id lo9ve a coheed cheek wed bone for eternity. EVen if she looks like a TEN TON TRUuUUCk" -CoheedKonPFI

4. #4 Default  
    Oh snap. Written already? I wonder if that includes bass parts, or if Mic wrote any of the bass lines before he left.

Regardless, I'm really excited for more new Coheed.

5. #5 Default  
    Sweet

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MonotoneMop View Post
    Wow, I didn't think they'd be recording this soon! I guess this means we'll start seeing more announcements regarding the tracks and maybe a single by the end of november or december.
    Uhh, there will definitely not be a single by the end of November if they are entering the studio that month. My guess would be mid-late January for the single, March release of the album.
    I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Uhh, there will definitely not be a single by the end of November
    It's mother fucking bagel time, bitch!
    Twitter|Facebook|Xbox Live

8. #8 Default  
    Regardless of when we actually hear new music, this is great news. I can't wait to see what comes of it.
    Poor little Hound of Blood and Rank, who deserves every ounce of what's coming...

9. #9 Default  
    totally stoked for this! Can't wait to hear the new stuff when it comes out.

10. #10 Default  
    Very interesting that it's all happening so quickly. I wonder who they will lock down for bass. I assume Wes, but you never know.

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Very interesting that it's all happening so quickly. I wonder who they will lock down for bass. I assume Wes, but you never know.
    I'm not sure. I know that Wes can play the things that the band has written over the years, but I don't know how good he is at writing the bass lines himself.
    It's tough, it's hard. Sounds like my dick!

I Survived Neverender NYC.
    16 Coheed shows and counting...

12. #12 Default  
    Wes is (in my opinion) the best musician "in" the band. He'd have no problems writing bass parts for Coheed.

13. #13 Default  
    GODGODGOD I'm coming.

14. #14 Default  
    My guess would be mid-late January for the single, March release of the album.
    [URL="http://open.spotify.com/album/6qqcd3tO5iutWkFuaZgtGZ"]Spassm – The Penelope Rose[/URL]

15. #15 Default  
    I really hope this album continues in the direction of Iron Fist and Deranged. Those two songs to me seem like they've finally perfected a blend of the sound of all their albums so I'm hopeful. Where the story is concerned, however, I'm a little on the fence (no pun intended). The saga and prequel are awesome, I just don't want it to become too drawn out and taken too far, and dilute what is already there so to speak. But it's early days and I'm already incredibly excited and grateful for the constant flow of Coheed material recently:)

16. #16 Default  
    Sokka is offline Off with your costume, on with disease...
    Anything will be better than Black Rainbow...so color me slightly excited.
    "Take The Veil" My acoustic project- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Take-T...3848539?ref=ts

17. #17 Default  
    Wes is (in my opinion) the best musician "in" the band. He'd have no problems writing bass parts for Coheed.
    Wha? I will politely, but completely disagree about the best musician bit. But, he is good and will have no prob writing bass lines, which usually get done in studio, not beforehand

18. #18 Default  
    Who's a better all around musician than Wes, in Coheed?

19. #19 Default  
    inb4 Claudio becomes the George Lucas of music

20. #20 Default  
    What a horrible fate that would be.

21. #21 Default  
    This.

The guy knows his theory inside and out, and has absolutely no problem writing for this band (seeing as how he either embellished the keyboard/synth parts that were there for Neverender, or wrote whole parts for himself for the songs). He clicks with them, and he's an all around badass guy.

As for the new album, Claudio's been hinting at it being an album about Sirius Amory, and the story about how he realized the potential of the Keywork. It takes place even before the Mage Wars, which is TOTALLY badass for the mythos of Coheed! I hope there's another book for it.

22. #22 Default  
    Awesome news. I can't wait.
    Would anyone like a banger in the mouth?

23. #23 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpaulster View Post
    This.

The guy knows his theory inside and out, and has absolutely no problem writing for this band (seeing as how he either embellished the keyboard/synth parts that were there for Neverender, or wrote whole parts for himself for the songs). He clicks with them, and he's an all around badass guy.
    I agree with you that he is an awesome musician and I guess you are right. I think what I was trying to get at is that Claudio and Travis are better song writers and creators of music.

24. #24 Default  
    musician wise chris is easily the best in the band... come on. we may not all love his drumming in Coheed but he is an amazing musician. Creatively, who knows. Up to opinion. But I know all ive heard of Wes is very funk driven, which is like every song. may not be for everyone. but im open to seeing what hes got...

Am excited about this news though.
    "Josh... There's No Doubt About It... Josh... There's No Doubt.... Josh..."

25. #25 Default  
    As Coheed has grown in popularity, they've accumulated stronger musicians. Claudio once said that he never bothered much with music theory, just made what he thought sounded good. That's respectable, but Wes and Chris are both much more educated in that respect.
    "Im a ligttlre drunk butr f yea Id lo9ve a coheed cheek wed bone for eternity. EVen if she looks like a TEN TON TRUuUUCk" -CoheedKonPFI

26. #26 Default  
    Lysander Spooner is offline Fuck the State. Fuck the Church. Fuck Capitalism.
    Music theory has a valuable place in song writing, but natural creativity is the foundation of rock music.

This album will be great, and half of the people posting here will hate it for up to a year.
    ‎"Claiming that the revolution can be made within the law is lunacy, is a contradiction. The law is a yoke, and one who wants to free oneself from the yoke must break it.”
    -Ricardo Flores Magón
    "All digital music, including the 9 demos will be delivered to you 24 hours early, on Sunday night at Midnight."

27. #27 Default  
    More knowledge about music theory =/= better musician. Have you heard Wes' solo stuff? Ok, but not anywhere near as good as anything Claudio has done.

But I digress. I hope this new album will go back to their more progressive roots. I like the sound of Iron Fist and Deranged, they're solid songs for sure, but very predictable and short.

28. #28 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander Spooner View Post
    Music theory has a valuable place in song writing, but natural creativity is the foundation of rock music.

This album will be great, and half of the people posting here will hate it for up to a year.
    This.

29. #29 Default  
    "Natural creativity" is something people like to hide behind that don't know their theory. The fact of the matter is that knowing your theory makes you a better musician, end of story. Natural creativity doesn't mean shit when you don't know what to do with it.

Writing music without getting the mechanics behind it is like trying to write a novel without knowing what the words you use mean.

30. #30 Default  
    ''I'm dealing with a culture I have no clue about. I kept endlessly researching Japanese music, and the more I researched it, the more I realized I had no clue about it. I went to Japan to sort of test-drive it — to see if I got it wrong. I played it to a whole bunch of people and they came up to me and said, 'How do you know so much about Japanese music?' So, I should worry maybe a little less.'' - Hans Zimmer on writing scores for "The Last Samurai"

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

My point is that you need to know the basics, of course, but creativity > skill. That's why the general public likes pop music oh so much and, while Coheed is full of amazing musicians, we're posting on here and not drooling over Dream Theater (not dissing them, I love them!). Just because you can play amazing, doesn't mean you can write.
    07/02/08 - 10/10/10 - 04/30/11 - 05/20/12 - 10/20/12

"'Cause loneliness is why you hurt, just don't kill the messenger."

31. #31 Default  
    "Natural creativity" is something people like to hide behind that don't know their theory. The fact of the matter is that knowing your theory makes you a better musician, end of story. Natural creativity doesn't mean shit when you don't know what to do with it.

Writing music without getting the mechanics behind it is like trying to write a novel without knowing what the words you use mean.
    I feel like your analogy is incorrect. Someone can tell a good story without being a great writer.

I'm not saying that music theory isn't important, but there are plenty of great song writers who don't know a lick about diminishing 5ths or tritones.

I think a perfect example is Dream Theater. Great musicians, but not the world's great song writers.
    ‎"Claiming that the revolution can be made within the law is lunacy, is a contradiction. The law is a yoke, and one who wants to free oneself from the yoke must break it.”
    -Ricardo Flores Magón
    "All digital music, including the 9 demos will be delivered to you 24 hours early, on Sunday night at Midnight."

32. #32 Default  
    Are you saying that pop music that the general public listens to is creative?
    Would anyone like a banger in the mouth?

33. #33 Default  
    Depends how you define "pop music". There are a lot of different pop artists.

Someone like Simple Plan? No. Regina Spektor? Absolutely.
    -Ricardo Flores Magón

34. #34 Default  
    I hope the new songs feel longer and more in depth than most of the tracks on YOBR. I hope for something as large and complex as The Willing Wells again. But, that's a great expectation.
    One man - One mission - To stop these explosions

35. #35 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYwork90 View Post
    I hope the new songs feel longer and more in depth than most of the tracks on YOBR. I hope for something as large and complex as The Willing Wells again. But, that's a great expectation.
    Check out the NYCC interview. It contains good news.
    Atlanta 4/23/10 | Nashville 8/22/10 | Atlanta 4/14/11 | Birmingham 5/16/12 | Nashville 12/4/12 | Atlanta 3/5/13 | Memphis 10/28/13 | Atlanta 10/7/14

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast